Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fictional Style Icons - Mercedes Jones


Hello there lovelies,

I've been on another obsessive Glee-watching spree lately (possibly because watching so much Farscape started making me dream about alien invasions every night), and I am majorly style-crushing. The object of my affections? Mercedes Jones, who is (acccording to Wikipedia) "a fashion-conscious black diva who resents having to sing back-up". I have a different description for her, and it is one word: fabulous.


I couldn't find a full-body shot of this ensemble, but it is amazing. Those suspender-looking things are exactly what they seem, and are attached to an equally amazing pair of high-waisted jeans. High-waisted suspender jeans? Where do I sign up!

The only thing better than animal print? Techni-colour animal print.

Another of my favourite Mercedes looks - that vest is freakin' awesome, and I'm digging the gold high-tops.

I love the style of this character, because she makes no apologies for being exactly the way she is. Mercedes doesn't hide in her clothes - she wears bright colours, and figure hugging clothing, and crazy eye-catching pieces in clingy materials - even though "fashion" dictates that she shouldn't because of her size. She is exactly who she is, and that isn't going to change. Of the many style lessons we can learn from Mercedes, there is one big one: Always be yourself and don't give a damn about the haters. They're always gonna hate.




Until next time, xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment